1600 patchwork pieces.
10 different colour blocks.
Over 160 different fabrics.
Just over 2.50 metres square.
Edging and backing fabric ‘liberated’ from my Mum’s fabric chest.
I love it!!! It has ended up much bigger than I expected, but I like the fact that it hangs right down both sides of the bed. It has taken me years to complete it, mainly because I forgot I had been doing it for a while and rediscovered it in the back of my cupboard.
Technically it isn’t a complicated quilt. Handstiched 5cm squares stitched into 4×4 blocks which were then randomly (carefully!) placed to ensure that the same blocks weren’t too near each other. Edged in blue, then edged in a cream fabric with little blue flowers on it. Then I backed the quilt top with a cotton, then with wadding, another sheet of cotton and then the backing fabric to match the cream blue flowery edging (actually I had to stitch 2 pieces of the backing fabric together, and it was only after I had finished it I notied that I had turned one piece by 90 degrees. Oh well!!). Finally I added bias binding which I machined through all layers to make it strong. Finally I spot quilted in the corner of each square using a button.
Lastly… I autographed and dated my masterpiece!