I had an interesting conversation with a friend last week about my blog. He thinks I am too honest, and maybe I am at times, but this discussion started me thinking a lot about why I blog at all. So, here are my list of reasons.
1) As I live on my own I don’t have anyone to ‘download’ to when I come home. Sometimes my blog is cathartic, it gives me the opportunity to share what has been bugging me and to get it out of my system.
2) It gives me space to work things through, to process issues and to open them up for comments. I love getting comments on what I am writing, as they help me to reframe my thought processes and to develop my thinking.
3) It is good to be heard. As a woman who was part of a Newfrontiers church for such a long time this is something of a novelty.
4) I love to be able to share my pictures, and all the good things that have been happening to me.
5) I also like to be able to share when I am feeling shit. The support, love, and compassion that comes from people when I am having a hard time is invaluable.
6) It keeps my friends up to date with what has been going on in my life.
7) It often opens up discussions with people. Sometimes it can be hard to say things face to face to someone, but a blog post gets the conversation started.
8) I am an exhibitionist at heart!
Blogging and a number of other internet places have given me the opportunity to form an additional community. More and more these communities, both real life and the online communities are crossing over as I meet people in real life I have only known online before. I love the fact that the internet has extended my horizons, it has meant that I have developed friendships with people I might never have had the opportunity to meet otherwise.
As for the comment that I am too honest. I really hope that I have never offended anyone by what I have said on my blog. I hope that people realise and recognise that this is ‘my stuff’ and in the main it is me working through my thought processes. Anyway, I truly believe that honesty is what gives my blog credibility and therefore I will keep rambling as I have never rambled before 🙂